Last updated Dec 6th, 2020
Picking an ergonomic office chair when you’re on a tight budget is fraught with potential pitfalls. Yes you may be saving money in the short term, but how long can you be assured the chair will last? Will it even be comfortable and ergonomic to use while it’s still working?
In this buyer’s guide we examine and review the very best ergonomic office chairs under or around $200. We do all the homework for you so you don’t have to, by picking only the highest quality budget chairs you can rest easy in. The office chairs that have made the list all have exceptional ergonomic features for their price, made of durable materials that won’t become a dead weight in a few months, and decent warranty to top it all off.
Note: Prices subject to change. Check final pricing before purchasing.
- 1. Giantex Ergonomic Office Chair – Best Overall $200 Ergonomic Office Chair
- 2. Nouhaus Palette Office Chair– Runner Up for Best Office Chair Under $200
- 3. Hbada Reclining Office Chair– Best Budget Reclining Office Chair
- 4. SmugDesk Executive Office Chair– Best Budget Leather Office Chair
- 5. Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair– Best Big and Tall Office Chair
- 6. Xishe Swivel Office Chair– Best Budget Task and Conference Room Chair
- 7. LAVIEVERT Mesh Office Chair – Excellent Budget Ergonomic Chair with Clothes Hanger
- Why you need an Ergonomic Chair
- Which is the Best Ergonomic Chair under and around $200?
|Giantex Office Chair||264 pounds||1 Year||Best Overall $200 Ergonomic Office Chair||Check Price|
|Nouhuas Palette Chair||275 pounds||5 Years||Runner Up for Best Office Chair Under $200||Check Price|
|Hbada Reclining Office Chair||250 pounds||1 Year||Best Budget Reclining Office Chair||Check Price|
|Smugdesk Executive Chair||250 pounds||1 Year||Best Budget Leather Office Chair||Check Price|
|Sadie Mesh Chair||350 pounds||5 Years||Best Office Chair Under $200 for Big and Tall users||Check Price|
|Xishe Task Office Chair||300 pounds||5 years||Best Budget Task Office Chair||Check Price|
|LAVIEVERT Mesh Chair||300 pounds||1 Year||Excellent Budget Ergonomic Chair with Clothes Hanger||Check Price|
1. Giantex Ergonomic Office Chair – Best Overall $200 Ergonomic Office Chair
- Reclining Back & Adjustable Seat Height: Seat height can be adjusted between 17.5" to 21.5"to meet your...
- Ergonomic Lumbar Support and Headrest: The computer desk chair is designed with a waist pillow, which can...
- Premium Mesh Material & Sturdy Frame: Breathable mesh back enhances air circulation and prevents...
Bottom line: Bi directional lumbar support, headrest, and robust headrest make this the best office chair in the $200 category.
The Giantex is my pick for the very best ergonomic office chair you can get for around $200 dollars. Between the high quality metal frame, ultra thick seat cushion, and robust lumbar and neck support you usually find in much more expensive chairs, this is a chair that you can easily expect to spend $300 or even $400 for.
The gentle “s” shape of the backrest contours to the shape of your back. I love the lumbar support on the Giantex- both it’s height and firmness can be adjusted, with the later using a dial. One owner of the chair with back pain says the adjustable lumbar support has made a big difference. The backrest is made of breathable mesh, which will be appreciated for sure on hot sweaty days.
The headrest on the Giantex is equally ergonomic, and can be angled to contour to the shape of your neck, besides being height adjustable. Combined with a backrest that reclines up to 135 degrees backwards and lockable, this chair can easily let you work, relax, and even take a quick nap in between.
Rounding up the list of great features are the height adjustable armrest, plus mesh seat that shouldn’t sag after just a few months. A few users complained that the cushion is a little too firm, though for most people, this will be one of the most comfortable and ergonomic office chair you can get in the $200 price range. The 90 day unconditional money back guarantee doesn’t hurt either.
- Stellar lumbar support that is both height and firmness adjustable
- High quality steel frame that supports up to 264 pounds weight
- Larger castor wheels that glide over all types of surfaces easily.
- Breathable mesh backrest and thick padded seat
- Cushion a little too firm for some people
2. Nouhaus Palette Office Chair– Runner Up for Best Office Chair Under $200
- COLOR YOUR LIFE IN COMFORT: With ‘Just-For-Me’ Lumbar Adjust, 2:1 Synchro Tilt, Height Variable...
- ‘JUST-FOR-ME’ LUMBAR SUPPORT OFFICE CHAIR: It’s rare to sit the same at the start of the day as we...
- STRONG, HEIGHT VARIABLE ARMS: Lean into it, because this ergonomic chair lets you adjust these armrests...
Bottom line: Ergonomic and stylish to boot with 5 different color choices
If you’re looking for a stylish office chair that’s also functional, the Nouhaus Palette series gets our nod. The choice of 5 colors and simple lines make them great for both the home and office. More importantly though, the chair comes with the most important ergonomic features to keep you comfortable for long hours.
We’re a fan of the upholstery on the Palette chair, which the company calls ElastoMesh. It’s as breathable as regular mesh, but with a fabric like, softer feel.
The highlight of the chair however is the backrest. The lumbar support is not only supportive, but height adjustable to let you dial it to precisely where you need support the most. The s shaped line conforms to your back nicely, while the robust 2:1 synchro tilt mechanism enables good micro movements in your back as you work
With a decent backrest comfortable seat and an amazing array of colors to choose from, the Nouhaus Palette comes in at a close second for best office chair under and around $200.
- Elasto Mesh upholstery that’s breathable yet soft
- Comfortable backrest with height adjustable lumbar support
- Clean lines and choice of 6 colors
- Very easy to assemble
- Backrest only tilts and doesn’t recline
- Lack of neck support
3. Hbada Reclining Office Chair– Best Budget Reclining Office Chair
- ERGONOMIC RECLINER - Synchro tilt reclines the backrest increasing the angle between your torso and...
- BREATHABLE MESH - Contemporary ergonomic black mesh office chair promotes increased air flow, keeping you...
- ADJUSTABLE OFFICE CHAIR - Waterfall seat cushion slopes slightly downward to help reduce stress on your...
Bottom line: High end design meets excellent ergonomics in the Hbada Reclining Office Chair.
The Hbada chair could easily be confused for a high end office chair, with its sleek contours and hefty seat frame. The chair is simply gorgeous to look at. And in the neighborhood of $200, it’s an incredible buy.
The entire back and headrest of the Hbada is contoured to match the natural shape of the human body, providing long term comfort and excellent ergonomics. We especially love the headrest on the Hbada Chair that is both height and angle adjustable. The headrest pivots 30 degrees left and right to support your head even at an angle.
The highlight of the Hbada chair is the high level of recline. It can tilt back all the way 155 degrees. Combined with the easy to retract footrest, and you have yourself an office chair that lets you fully stretch out or even take power naps in.
The mesh used on the Hbada Reclining Office Chair is breathable. You will find that this provides a better experience when using the chair in the summer months. The mesh is very flexible and will adjust freely to the movement of your body.
There’s something to be celebrated about the design of the Hbada chair as well. The white exoskeleton in combination with the black finish creates a truly striking, almost futuristic look that many owners with a keen eye are gleeful over.
Overall with a price tag of around $200, the bottom line is, the Hbada is a budget office chair with the versatility and style of chairs that cost twice as much.
- Excellent build quality with good balance of metal and plastic construction
- High end, sleek design
- Large contoured back and headrest that naturally fits the shape of most people
- Lockable recline from 90 -155 degrees with footrest to take power naps in
- Some larger users found the footrest flimsy
4. SmugDesk Executive Office Chair– Best Budget Leather Office Chair
- Bonded leather Executive Chair - High back bonded leather ergonomic office chair with extra thick padding...
- Multi-function Adjustable - Triple Paddle Control Mechanism allows back angle adjustment, back tilt lock...
- Enhanced comfort - Waterfall seat design eliminates leg fatigue and the human-oriented design creates a...
Bottom line: If you find most office chairs too hard on your bottom or back, the Smugdesk Works will blow your socks off.
The Smugdesk Executive Office Chair is an ultra plush, relaxing chair that will have your whole body sink into it in comfort. And it gets better. Unlike many executive office chairs that only rock, the Smugdesk’s backrest can also tilt and is lockable (up to 125 degrees), allowing you to find the perfect angle to relax your back.
For people that often complain standard office chairs are too hard on their backs, the type of soft yet contoured lumbar found on the Smugdesk offers an unique solution compared to other office chairs.
The chair is furnished in bonded leather, which is supple and comfortable. We were impressed with the cushioning on the seat, which consist of high density foam that in combination with the leather feels very much like sitting in a leather sofa.
When it comes to adjustability, the Smugdesk functions similarly to a regular office chair. The height and angle of the chair can be modified via a conveniently located side lever. The arm rest can also be heightened up to 24″ off the ground. For good mobility this chair is fitted with polyurethane casters that won’t damage hardwood floors.
Perhaps the best endorsement of the Smugdesk Executive Office Chair comes from another customer, who received the chair as a gift from her husband. Calling it the best gift she’s ever gotten, it took her only 15 minutes to put together the chair, and her constant back and leg pain is now gone when she crafts.
- Deep layered cushions and armrest for people that find standard office chairs too stiff for the bottom or back.
- Robust backrest that both rocks and tilts, and is lockable
- Smooth bonded leather for a luxury, executive look.
- Armrest is only height adjustable
5. Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair– Best Big and Tall Office Chair
- ERGONOMIC POSTURE SUPPORT: Adjustable lumbar control puts extra lower back support right where you need...
- DIMENSIONS - Overall Depth: 30.31 in | Overall Height: 42.91 in | Overall Width: 30.31 in | Arm...
- ROLLING OFFICE CHAIR: Smooth-rolling casters and durable wheels hold up even under heavy use.
Bottom line: A heavy duty, sturdy office chair that won’t let big and tall users down.
For a comfortable ergonomic office chair that works well for large users (such as one owner that measures 6’5″ and 300 lbs), the Sadie chair is probably your best bet in the $200 range. Everything about this chair is king size, from the seat dimensions to the extra thick cushions.
With a seat width and depth of 22” and 20” respectively, the Sadie chair is wide enough to comfortably seat large users. In fact, multiple happy owners of the Sadie measure 6’5″ and weigh anywhere between 200 to 300 lbs. The common sentiment is that this is the Sadie and extremely roomy and comfortable.
We’re also a big fan of the backrest on the Sadie. Firstly, the all mesh design is firm and supportive even under pressure. It’s also extremely breathable, something big users will especially support. And finally, the lumbar support is excellent for a budget office chair; it is adjustable and can be raised or lowered to properly target the area of your back that needs support.
Overall the Sadie Office Chair really impressed as a a chair catered to big and tall users while still keeping the price very budget friendly.
- Generous seat and backrest dimensions that even big and tall users will find comfortable
- Adjustable lumbar support that raises and lowers.
- Comfort seat with ultra thick cushion that’s easy to clean
- 2 year limited warranty with stellar customer support
- Some users complained of missing parts on arrival
- Back seat doesn’t lock when reclined.
6. Xishe Swivel Office Chair– Best Budget Task and Conference Room Chair
- 【Super Comfort with Ergonomic Design】Ergonomic curved mid back perfectly supports your whole body...
- 【Adjustable Office Chair】Pneumatic seat-height adjustment from 16.6"-20.5"; Rocking back and forth to...
- 【High Security】 This office chair has heavy-duty sturdy base with five-jaw, and using class-4 gas...
Bottom line: Lightweight ergonomic task chair with flip up arms for under $200.
The Xishe Task Office Chair is a mid back office chair that strives for minimalism while still remaining ergonomic and comfortable for long sessions of sitting. It weighs in at just 28 pounds and is one of the lightest ergonomic chairs that we have ever reviewed. A light chair makes it highly portable to move around from room to room at the drop of a dime.
Gone is the headrest, which while in general we recommend, the fact is, not everyone uses it. Depending on the type of work you do, your upper body may frequently be leaning forward, making a headrest pointless. You know if you fall into that group if you’ve never missed the headrest on your existing chair.
The two arm rests on the Xishe Chair flip up for easy accessibility, and also makes it easy to use the chair to shuttle large things around. This is a huge plus in tight home and office settings.
The butterfly shaped lumbar support on this task chair is height adjustable, though the range is rather limited, at 1.2″.
Most owners of the Xishe task chair have found the chair to be incredibly comfortable despite the minimalist design. There is an abundance of padding on both the armrests and the seat. And speaking of the seat, its highly contoured shape plays a big role in providing that comfort, by minimizing pressure on key pressure points as you sit.
The Xishe task chair has a 300 pound weight rating. The hefty rating speaks to the build quality of the chair. Throw in a 5 year warranty including 30 day money back guarantee, and you know you’re in good hands.
At the end of the day, the Xishe chair exemplifies what a good task chair should be. It’s lightweight and portable, durable, ergonomic, and just as importantly, very easy to put together. The fact that it costs well under $200 is just icing on the cake.
- Solidly built with less moving parts for durability
- Seat recline angle can be locked to maintain desired tilt
- Thick comfortable seat foam
- Really simple assembly
- 5 Year limited Warranty instead of the 1 year you see in other chairs on this list
- Armrest height not adjustable
- No lumbar support adjustment
- Only supports up to 250 pounds
7. LAVIEVERT Mesh Office Chair – Excellent Budget Ergonomic Chair with Clothes Hanger
- Breathable Mesh Material - The mesh material on the back of Lavievert office chair provides soft support...
- Ergonomic Design - The back of the chair is designed ergonomically in accordance with human spine...
- Multiple Adjustments - The back of the chair can be adjusted from 90° to 130° according to your needs....
Bottom line: Well rounded office chair in the budget category, with adjustable head and arm rest covered in a mesh breathable material. Also comes with an unique hanger for clothes at the back.
The Lavievert Computer Ergonomic Chair with its sturdy back frame and high density mesh cover is a reliable bet for a great budget office chair.
Despite this being a budget chair, the Lavievert is surprisingly versatile from an ergonomic standpoint. It comes with a height adjustable 3D headrest that can be moved up or down depending on your height, and can also be angled. The lumbar support can be pushed inwards or outwards to contour to your back more precisely, a rare feature for a budget office chair. And finally, the long armrest can also move forward and back.
The Lavievert’s mesh cover helps regulate your temperature, and is especially appreciated during summer or after you’ve been sitting for hours on end. The seat cushion with padded foam feels relatively comfortable to sit on.
The Lavievert office Chair offers excellent maneuverability, with the chair base and casters that swivel 360 degrees to move around effortlessly, even on carpet.
We found the Lavievert solidly built, with no unwanted creaking when sitting on it. The chair supports up to a maximum weight of 300 pounds, though the manufacturer recommends up to 220 pounds for prolonged longevity. The chair fully passes the BIFMA standards, which speaks to the overall quality of the chair. It comes with a 1 year warranty.
Lastly, we’d be amiss not to mention the unique clothes hunger on the back of the Lavievert chair. If you’re one to just toss your clothes around after you get home or arrive in the office, the hanger is a odd but welcomed addition.
- Decent build quality with skeletal back frame and breathable mesh cover
- Adjustable 3D headrest that moves up/down and angles up to 45 degrees
- Adjustable lumbar that moved in/outwards to fit the shape of your back
- One of a kind clothes hanger at the back
- Support up to 300 pounds weight (220 recommended)
- Poor assembly instructions
- Headrest feels flimsy at times
Why you need an Ergonomic Chair
Our lifestyles now are particularly sedentary given our attachment to computers and other modern technology. Sitting in a chair for hours on end doing your work can lead to all kinds of health problems that you may not even be aware of. Lower back pain is one of the most common ailments in modern society. Even a good budget office chair can greatly enhance your posture and decrease your chances of debilitating neck and back pain over time.
Which is the Best Ergonomic Chair under and around $200?
The five ergonomic chairs chosen for this review are the cream of the pop when it comes to budget office chairs under and around $200. Many ergonomic chairs cost a lot more than that, some with inferior ergonomic features or durability than the five that made our list.
The Duramont Office Chair is an excellent all rounder with very few compromises for a budget chair. We loved the Hbada Ergonomic Office Chair for the cutting edge style that usually costs double or even triple its price tag. The Smugdesk also offers unique benefits that people who find standard office chairs too hard on their back or bottom will really appreciate.