Ergonomic armrests are a great feature to have on an office chair – unless they frequently impede on your ability to work or tuck the chair under the desk that is.
If that’s you, a chair with flip up arms helps create the best of both worlds.
In this guide we’ll navigate through the top ergonomic office chairs with flip up arms, provide reviews from actual customers, and identify the key benefits and features that will make (at least) one of the chairs from this list a perfect addition to your office space.
Best Executive Chair Option
- ENJOY ULTIMATE COMFORT IN YOUR OFFICE TASKS: with Statesville executive computer chair. Ergonomically designed with a built-in adjustable inflatable...
- ADJUST YOUR OFFICE CHAIR TO YOUR OWN NEEDS: You can raise or lower the seat of your desk chair through the easy-to-use pneumatic controls, tilt back...
- GET A STURDY COMPUTER CHAIR WITH GUARANTEED LONGEVITY: Quality made from bonded leather, it is a stylish, elegant and classy high-back executive...
The Statesville Executive Chair tops our list of the best overall ergonomic office chair with flip up arms. An uniquely inflatable lumbar airbag, generously padded polyurethane leather and versatile backrest, plus of course easy flip up arms together create one of the most well rounded office chairs in its category.
We love the thickly padded armrests that can easily be dismissed when they’re not needed. In fact, one satisfied customer remarked at how easily she could lift the arms to get closer to her desk, which was definitely a selling point that tipped the scale.
Another worthy feature of the Statesville chair is the adjustable lumbar support. It’s inflatable to create just the amount of depth and pressure for your lower back.
The versatile tilt mechanism on this chair is also worth mentioning. It supports rocking with tension control, which one owner attributes to helping with his back pain, by relieving pressure.
Rounding off the Statesville chair list of features are the durable, bonded leather that gives this chair modern elegance, a high weight capacity of 250 lbs, plus a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Unique inflatable lumbar support to adjust depth
- Thickly padded and easy to dismiss armrests
- Clean-smelling, comfortable leather (no chemical smell)
- Armrests not height adjustable.
- Instructions are clear, but might require two people to assemble
Best High Back Mesh Option
- 【Posture-Perfect Ergonomics Advanced Design Assist You Sitting Proper】Which features a unique made to mimic the human spine. The chair's back can...
- 【Adjustable Height/Headrest/Backrest Think of More Comforts】The backrest of executive office chair can be tilted around 90-110 degrees fit for...
- 【Full Mesh Air Cushion Built for The Most Durable & Extra Comfort】The chair has an ergonomic mesh back that avoids excessive heat and moisture...
For those people who prefer a higher back and a more breathable mesh material on your office chair, the Komene is one of the better choices from both an ergonomic and budget standpoint.
The high backrest tilts and can rock back and forth (up to 110 degrees) to bring constant movements to your back using a smooth knee tilt mechanism. And unlike many high back hairs, the Komene comes with a built in headrest that is angle adjustable as well. One satisfied reviewer said that every single part of this chair conformed to his body and helped encourage better posture.
But really sold many of the reviewers of this chair was the lift up arms. One customer said that she finally found a chair that could fit under her antique office desk, while another reviewer said he could play his guitar unencumbered by armrests.
With a 5-year manufacturer warranty and a “100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee”, Komene is a pretty sure bet if you’re looking for a high back mesh chair with flippable arms.
- Passed BIFMA and SGS (Standard Global Services) standards for weight support over 300Ibs
- Easily stowed away armrests to let you get closer to your desk
- Breathable mesh with built in, adjustable head rest
- Easy to assemble – all parts are fully labelled
- Lumbar support not adjustable
- Flip up arms not height adjustable
Best Budget Option for High Back Mesh
- The integrated frame is stable and durable for using and contoured breathable mesh back make you feel comfortable during long time working.
- Built-in lumbar support and headrest help you been in right sitting posture for protecting your neck and waist.
- Tilt Lock Mechanism with Tilt Tension Knob and Pneumatic Seat Height Adjustment will match different stature.
Looking for a high back office chair on a budget? The Berlman is an excellent alternative to the Komene above, at around 50% of the price. What you will still be getting is a reasonably ergonomic mesh chair with those important flipping armrests.
An integrated frame holds contoured, breathable, ergonomic mesh against your back, and a built-in headrest partners with lumbar support to ensure both your neck and posture are protected during long hours at the office. While the lumbar support is not adjustable, most people found it supportive and comfortable.
One of the most useful features on this high back chair is the flip up arms. One customer said his chair stopped banging into his glass desk once he started using this feature, and that it really saved valuable space in his small home office.
Overall for the price, there’s not much to complain about the Berlan. It’s a great chair on the cheap or for the office where some people prefer amrests and some don’t on their chairs.
- Built in headrest and lumbar support
- Easy to assemble, with clear instructions
- The mesh back increases ventilation and comfort
- The lumbar support isn’t adjustable
- Some customers experienced quality issues, such as flimsy armrests and wobbling seat.
Best Budget Option for Mid Back Mesh
- [Resounding Ergonomic Benefits] The ERGOUSIT office chairs offer resounding ergonomic backrest - Steady mesh backing, excellent lumbar support, which...
- [Exert Less Pressure on Your Butt] Looking for something with more padding in comfort to support your hip and buttock that put an end to the...
- [Sophisticated Technology] You will never live with this imperfection that the chair slowly started to shake, sink, tear off and deteriorate. It is...
The Ergousit is one of the those budget ergonomic office chairs that punches high above its weight. It ticks all the boxes for what a high quality mid back office chair should be, but without the hefty price tag.
First, many people applauded how easy it was to put together this chair. One person 20 minutes is all you need, and that’s taking is slowly.
Next up, build quality. For a budget chair, the Ergousit is surprisingly well put together. A lot of attention was obviously paid to the manufacturing process- no obvious squeaks or wobbles.
The built-in lumbar support was perfect for one happy owner, who claimed it helped his chronic lower back issues. One reviewer even referred to the mesh back as “supportive and springy.”
The thick 5″ cushion seating is also worth highlighting, providing long-lasting comfort that should keep its shape even after a year or two.
When you add the lift up arms to its small footprint, you get one of the best compact mesh office chair for smaller spaces. One reviewer said the lift up arms were a refreshing feature that may not seem like much, but when he was able to fully fit his chair under his desk, made a ton of difference to his personal work area.
The main caveat of the Ergousit is that it’s geared more towards people on the normal to short side. The seat pan’s dimension of 19.7″ w by 19.3″ will most likely be too shallow for someone over 6′, though perfect for smaller users.
- Very sturdy and well built for a budget chair
- Easy to assemble
- Comfortable 5″ thick seat and flip up arms
- Not ideal for larger or taller frames
Best Gaming Chair Option
- ERGONOMIC POSTURE SUPPORT: Fully adjustable seat height and seat back recline match your comfort and work preferences
- FLIP-UP ARM GAMING CHAIR: Leather Padded arms flip down when support is desired, then quickly flip up to move out of the way
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: These task chairs offer excellence without expense so you can stretch your furniture dollar while working in comfort
The Sadie Gaming Chair hits the sweet spot where “quality meets value”. With good ergonomic support, flip up arms, and a choice of four exciting colors, this makes a great gaming chair for small rooms.
The adjustable seat height and back recline to support a variety of gaming postures, while the flip-up arms offer support when you need it and get out of your way when you don’t.
One customer loved the freedom of movement that the arms provided – he could use his console, then leave quickly if he had another last-minute task.
Owners love the black bonded leather and pronounced lumbar curve. While some claimed that the seat pan tilts them a bit too forward when upright, the reclining features more than compensate.
This budget-friendly chair meets or exceeds industry standards for safety and durability, and is backed by a (limited) 3-year warranty. If you’re looking for quality and comfort at a reasonable price, the Hon is on-point and definitely on its game!
- Lift up armrests are great for gaming
- Comes with a 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
- Some people feel like they’re “tilting” forward when upright in this chair.
Best Big and Tall Option
- Contemporary Big & Tall Office Chair
- 500 lb. Weight Capacity
- High Back Design
Think of the Hercules reminds us a lot of the Ergousit chair above, but geared towards the bigger crowd. Specifically designed with the big and tall in mind, this strong and solid chair has an astounding 500 lb. weight capacity!
One customer, who weighed in at 460 lbs, says this chair is as solid as a rock – no creaks, groans or worries about support. As another owner put it bluntly, if “you’re fat like me, this is the chair you want”.
With a seat pan width of 22.5″ and depth of 21″, the seat is definitely on the plus size. Thick cushions that measure 4″ thick ensure the seat won’t sag under heavy weight.
For large users, the flip up arms on the Hercules frees up even more horizontal space to let you fan out or perform certain tasks with ease, such as playing the guitar, as one large user does with ease now.
Unlike the Erogousit Chair, the lumbar support on the Hercules can be adjusted for firmness, a feature usually found on higher end ergonomic chairs.
A few people expressed concern about assembling the chair and noted that it takes time and practice to get all the fittings in the right place. If you’re willing to ‘work with a pal’, we’re sure it will take half the time to build the chair and the anticipation! If you’re big-boned, The Hercules has got your back.
- Built like a tank and perfect for tall and heavy users
- Dial-based adjustable lumbar firmness to help soothe lower back issues
- Thick 4″ cushions and flip up arms
- For smaller users, the dimensions are simply too big
- Armrest height not adjustable
Best Drafting Chair Option
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT - With a tall glass cylinder, Veer is ideal for office desks, reception areas, and studios alike. The stool's one-touch height...
- ERGONOMIC SUPPORT - Featuring a breathable mesh back, lower back lumbar support, and padded waterfall mesh seat, sit relaxed in a thoughtfully...
- SLEEK STYLE - Refresh your work, home, or school space with a seating choice that makes a sleek, stylish statement. Sitting atop five dual-wheeled...
If you work in a studio, have a standing desk or simply occupy a smaller workspace, a drafting chair is a great option. The Modway drafting chair makes for a great ergonomic chair for those spaces, especially with the flip up arms that provide easy access to and out of the seat..
The 90-degree flip up arms allow you to easily move between tasks or different desk heights. A satisfied reviewer, who has a customized tall desk, loves that the arms can flip up, not just swivel out of the way. They really help her sit closer to her desk, which other office chairs haven’t been able to do.
The stool’s one-touch height adjustment ranges from 21.5″ to 29.5″ off the ground, allowing you to raise or lower the seat according to your requirements. When paired with a 360-degree swivel and five dual-wheeled casters, you can move easily and fluidly from desk to drafting table.
A few customers claim the footrest becomes unstable after prolonged use, but we think this is a one-off occurrence that doesn’t affect overall performance. For drafting chair that’s ergonomic and economic, we think the Modway is a great fit for small spaces.
- Height is adjustable from 21.5” to 29.5”to suit most desk heights
- Flip up arms to let you get closer to your workspace.
- Chrome foot ring that is height adjustable (around 6″) to meet your feet
- Arms are not height adjustable
- Some quality issues with the lift slowing sagging after a few months.
Whether you’re big and tall, have a desk that’s small or simply want to expand your reach without your armrests getting in the way, the above office chairs with flip up arms all give you ergonomic options that won’t hurt your back, or your bank account.