Last updated March 12th, 2021
Picking an ergonomic office chair when you’re on a tight budget is fraught with potential pitfalls. Yes you may be saving money in the short term, but how long can you be assured the chair will last? Will it even be comfortable and ergonomic to use while it’s still working?
In this buyer’s guide we examine and review the very best ergonomic office chairs under or around $200. We do all the homework for you so you don’t have to, by picking only the highest quality budget chairs you can rest easy in. The office chairs that have made the list all have exceptional ergonomic features for their price, made of durable materials that won’t become a dead weight in a few months, and decent warranty to top it all off.
Note: Prices subject to change. Check final pricing before purchasing.
- 1. Giantex Ergonomic Office Chair – Best Overall $200 Ergonomic Office Chair
- 2. Nouhaus Palette Office Chair– Runner Up for Best Office Chair Under $200
- 3. Hbada Reclining Office Chair– Best Budget Reclining Office Chair
- 4. SmugDesk Executive Office Chair– Best Budget Leather Office Chair
- 5. Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair– Best Big and Tall Office Chair
- 6. KCream Gaming Chair– Best Gaming Chair Option
- 7. StarSpace Office Chair– Best Option with Flip up Arms
- Why you need an Ergonomic Chair
- Which is the Best Ergonomic Chair under and around $200?
|Giantex Office Chair||264 pounds||1 Year||Best Overall $200 Ergonomic Office Chair||Check Price|
|Nouhuas Palette Chair||275 pounds||5 Years||Runner Up for Best Office Chair Under $200||Check Price|
|Hbada Reclining Office Chair||250 pounds||1 Year||Best Budget Reclining Office Chair||Check Price|
|Smugdesk Executive Chair||250 pounds||1 Year||Best Budget Leather Office Chair||Check Price|
|Sadie Mesh Chair||350 pounds||5 Years||Best Office Chair Under $200 for Big and Tall users||Check Price|
|KCream Gaming Chair||300 pounds||1 year||Best Gaming Chair Option||Check Price|
|Starspace Office Chair||250 pounds||1 Year||Best Office Chair with Flip Up Arms||Check Price|
1. Giantex Ergonomic Office Chair – Best Overall $200 Ergonomic Office Chair
- Reclining Back & Adjustable Seat Height: Seat height can be adjusted between 17.5" to 21.5"to meet your...
- Ergonomic Lumbar Support and Headrest: The computer desk chair is designed with a waist pillow, which can...
- Premium Mesh Material & Sturdy Frame: Breathable mesh back enhances air circulation and prevents...
Bottom line: Bi directional lumbar support, headrest, and robust headrest make this the best office chair in the $200 category.
The Giantex is my pick for the very best ergonomic office chair you can get for around $200 dollars. Between the high quality metal frame, ultra thick seat cushion, and robust lumbar and neck support you usually find in much more expensive chairs, this is a chair that you can easily expect to spend $300 or even $400 for.
The gentle “s” shape of the backrest contours to the shape of your back. I love the lumbar support on the Giantex- both it’s height and firmness can be adjusted, with the later using a dial. One owner of the chair with back pain says the adjustable lumbar support has made a big difference. The backrest is made of breathable mesh, which will be appreciated for sure on hot sweaty days.
The headrest on the Giantex is equally ergonomic, and can be angled to contour to the shape of your neck, besides being height adjustable. Combined with a backrest that reclines up to 135 degrees backwards and lockable, this chair can easily let you work, relax, and even take a quick nap in between.
Rounding up the list of great features are the height adjustable armrest, plus mesh seat that shouldn’t sag after just a few months. A few users complained that the cushion is a little too firm, though for most people, this will be one of the most comfortable and ergonomic office chair you can get in the $200 price range. The 90 day unconditional money back guarantee doesn’t hurt either.
- Stellar lumbar support that is both height and firmness adjustable
- High quality steel frame that supports up to 264 pounds weight
- Larger castor wheels that glide over all types of surfaces easily.
- Breathable mesh backrest and thick padded seat
- Cushion a little too firm for some people
2. Nouhaus Palette Office Chair– Runner Up for Best Office Chair Under $200
- COLOR YOUR LIFE IN COMFORT: With ‘Just-For-Me’ Lumbar Adjust, 2:1 Synchro Tilt, Height Variable...
- ‘JUST-FOR-ME’ LUMBAR SUPPORT OFFICE CHAIR: It’s rare to sit the same at the start of the day as we...
- STRONG, HEIGHT VARIABLE ARMS: Lean into it, because this ergonomic chair lets you adjust these armrests...
Bottom line: Ergonomic and stylish to boot with 5 different color choices
If you’re looking for a stylish office chair that’s also functional, the Nouhaus Palette series gets our nod. The choice of 5 colors and simple lines make them great for both the home and office. More importantly though, the chair comes with the most important ergonomic features to keep you comfortable for long hours.
We’re a fan of the upholstery on the Palette chair, which the company calls ElastoMesh. It’s as breathable as regular mesh, but with a fabric like, softer feel.
The highlight of the chair however is the backrest. The lumbar support is not only supportive, but height adjustable to let you dial it to precisely where you need support the most. The s shaped line conforms to your back nicely, while the robust 2:1 synchro tilt mechanism enables good micro movements in your back as you work
With a decent backrest comfortable seat and an amazing array of colors to choose from, the Nouhaus Palette comes in at a close second for best office chair under and around $200.
- Elasto Mesh upholstery that’s breathable yet soft
- Comfortable backrest with height adjustable lumbar support
- Clean lines and choice of 6 colors
- Very easy to assemble
- Backrest only tilts and doesn’t recline
- Lack of neck support
3. Hbada Reclining Office Chair– Best Budget Reclining Office Chair
- ERGONOMIC RECLINER - Synchro tilt reclines the backrest increasing the angle between your torso and...
- BREATHABLE MESH - Contemporary ergonomic black mesh office chair promotes increased air flow, keeping you...
- ADJUSTABLE OFFICE CHAIR - Waterfall seat cushion slopes slightly downward to help reduce stress on your...
Bottom line: High end design meets excellent ergonomics in the Hbada Reclining Office Chair.
The Hbada chair could easily be confused for a high end office chair, with its sleek contours and hefty seat frame. The chair is simply gorgeous to look at. And in the neighborhood of $200, it’s an incredible buy.
The entire back and headrest of the Hbada is contoured to match the natural shape of the human body, providing long term comfort and excellent ergonomics. We especially love the headrest on the Hbada Chair that is both height and angle adjustable. The headrest pivots 30 degrees left and right to support your head even at an angle.
The highlight of the Hbada chair is the high level of recline. It can tilt back all the way 155 degrees. Combined with the easy to retract footrest, and you have yourself an office chair that lets you fully stretch out or even take power naps in.
The mesh used on the Hbada Reclining Office Chair is breathable. You will find that this provides a better experience when using the chair in the summer months. The mesh is very flexible and will adjust freely to the movement of your body.
There’s something to be celebrated about the design of the Hbada chair as well. The white exoskeleton in combination with the black finish creates a truly striking, almost futuristic look that many owners with a keen eye are gleeful over.
Overall with a price tag of around $200, the bottom line is, the Hbada is a budget office chair with the versatility and style of chairs that cost twice as much.
- Excellent build quality with good balance of metal and plastic construction
- High end, sleek design
- Large contoured back and headrest that naturally fits the shape of most people
- Lockable recline from 90 -155 degrees with footrest to take power naps in
- Some larger users found the footrest flimsy
4. SmugDesk Executive Office Chair– Best Budget Leather Office Chair
- Bonded leather Executive Chair - High back bonded leather ergonomic office chair with extra thick padding...
- Multi-function Adjustable - Triple Paddle Control Mechanism allows back angle adjustment, back tilt lock...
- Enhanced comfort - Waterfall seat design eliminates leg fatigue and the human-oriented design creates a...
Bottom line: If you find most office chairs too hard on your bottom or back, the Smugdesk Works will blow your socks off.
The Smugdesk Executive Office Chair is an ultra plush, relaxing chair that will have your whole body sink into it in comfort. And it gets better. Unlike many executive office chairs that only rock, the Smugdesk’s backrest can also tilt and is lockable (up to 125 degrees), allowing you to find the perfect angle to relax your back.
For people that often complain standard office chairs are too hard on their backs, the type of soft yet contoured lumbar found on the Smugdesk offers an unique solution compared to other office chairs.
The chair is furnished in bonded leather, which is supple and comfortable. We were impressed with the cushioning on the seat, which consist of high density foam that in combination with the leather feels very much like sitting in a leather sofa.
When it comes to adjustability, the Smugdesk functions similarly to a regular office chair. The height and angle of the chair can be modified via a conveniently located side lever. The arm rest can also be heightened up to 24″ off the ground. For good mobility this chair is fitted with polyurethane casters that won’t damage hardwood floors.
Perhaps the best endorsement of the Smugdesk Executive Office Chair comes from another customer, who received the chair as a gift from her husband. Calling it the best gift she’s ever gotten, it took her only 15 minutes to put together the chair, and her constant back and leg pain is now gone when she crafts.
- Deep layered cushions and armrest for people that find standard office chairs too stiff for the bottom or back.
- Robust backrest that both rocks and tilts, and is lockable
- Smooth bonded leather for a luxury, executive look.
- Armrest is only height adjustable
5. Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair– Best Big and Tall Office Chair
- ERGONOMIC POSTURE SUPPORT: Adjustable lumbar control puts extra lower back support right where you need...
- DIMENSIONS - Overall Depth: 30.31 in | Overall Height: 42.91 in | Overall Width: 30.31 in | Arm...
- ROLLING OFFICE CHAIR: Smooth-rolling casters and durable wheels hold up even under heavy use.
Bottom line: A heavy duty, sturdy office chair that won’t let big and tall users down.
For a comfortable ergonomic office chair that works well for large users (such as one owner that measures 6’5″ and 300 lbs), the Sadie chair is probably your best bet in the $200 range. Everything about this chair is king size, from the seat dimensions to the extra thick cushions.
With a seat width and depth of 22” and 20” respectively, the Sadie chair is wide enough to comfortably seat large users. In fact, multiple happy owners of the Sadie measure 6’5″ and weigh anywhere between 200 to 300 lbs. The common sentiment is that this is the Sadie and extremely roomy and comfortable.
We’re also a big fan of the backrest on the Sadie. Firstly, the all mesh design is firm and supportive even under pressure. It’s also extremely breathable, something big users will especially support. And finally, the lumbar support is excellent for a budget office chair; it is adjustable and can be raised or lowered to properly target the area of your back that needs support.
Overall the Sadie Office Chair really impressed as a a chair catered to big and tall users while still keeping the price very budget friendly.
- Generous seat and backrest dimensions that even big and tall users will find comfortable
- Adjustable lumbar support that raises and lowers.
- Comfort seat with ultra thick cushion that’s easy to clean
- 2 year limited warranty with stellar customer support
- Some users complained of missing parts on arrival
- Back seat doesn’t lock when reclined.
6. KCream Gaming Chair– Best Gaming Chair Option
- ★Comfortable Design: Ergonomic chair, padded seat cushion, removable neckrest and lumbar pillow,...
- ★Rich Configuration: Chair inside is made with one-piece steel frame and quality wood board, max weight...
- ★Multi-functional: Backrest reclining up to 155 degree; Adjustable armrests; Pneumatic seat height...
Bottom Line: Perhaps the most solidly built and well cushioned gaming chair in the $200 range
When we did our 30-day review for the KCream Gaming Chair, we were surprised by how good it is relative to its price. From the build quality to the amount of high quality padding, this feels more like a premium gaming chair in many ways.
To start, unlike many budget gaming chairs, this one didn’t squeak at all during our entire 1 month testing. This is a sign that all the components of the chair are well made and fitted precisely. It also means more peace and quiet while you’re rocking the backrest or shuffling around in the seat.
As testament to its sturdy build, a buyer who’s 6’2” and 220 lbs mentioned that he’s been using the KCream for 10+ hours per day ever since the pandemic started without any issues.
Secondly, we were really impressed by how much padding there was on the Kcream. The seat is stuffed with 5″ thick of padding, which blows most gaming chairs in its class out of the water in that respect:
The armrests on the Kcream are also wider than those on many other cheap gaming chairs we’ve reviewed. Our only complaint is that they could be longer to better cover your entire forearms better.
One thing to be aware of on the Kcream is the size of the seat. The wide 16’5″ seat is an asset for any user big or small. However, the seat is also quite deep at 22.5″. My friend who measures 5’7″ tried the chair and found it too deep for comfort. If you fall into that range, you might want to consider another budget gaming chair.
- Excellent build quality relative to its price
- 5″ thick padding inside seat
- Wide and relatively comfortable armrests
- Includes a decent footrest
- Seat depth may be too deep for people below 5’7″
- Lumbar pillow’s massage function just a gimmick
7. StarSpace Office Chair– Best Option with Flip up Arms
- ✅ ENHANCE YOUR PRODUCTIVITY with a high-end desktop black bonded leather executive chair with flip-up...
- ✅ PREVENT BACK PAINS WHILE WORKING: This tall office desk chair is designed to enhance the sitting...
- ✅ ULTRA-COMFORTABLE EXECUTIVE CHAIR: Rock back and forth to relax your back muscles and increase blood...
Bottom Line: Classy and plush executive chair with flip up arms for under $200
The StarSpace Office Chair is the perfect choice for you if you’re looking for an elegant and versatile chair at an affordable price. Boasting a robust back, generous padding, and fold away arms, it’s one of the best deals in the $200 category.
The thickly padded arms will provide all the TLC that your arms and elbows need while working. Whenever you want to scoot closer to your desk, just flip the arms out of the way.
A happy buyer mentioned in her review that it’s the StarSpace’s flip up arms that sealed the deal. She can make more space to do hobbies like playing the guitar and move closer to her desk to make jewelry for her online shop.
Other things to love about the StarSpace include a spacious seat, beefy padding, and a timeless design. The high curved backrest comes with an adjustable lumbar support that’s more pronounced than most executive chairs we’ve seen. The backrest does tilt/ rock, though only up to a rather limiting 110°.
It should be noted though that the arms can’t be adjusted but only flipped up. You’ll have to rely on the seat height adjustment to put your wrist and arms in a neutral position. Another option is to just flip them out of the way and use your desk for arm support while typing and mousing.
That said, the StarSpace does what it’s supposed to do well without breaking the bank. It’s a beautiful and multifunction chair that will keep you comfy for hours.
- Thickly padded arms easily swivel out of the way
- 5.5” thick padding for the spacious seat
- Sufficient adjustable lumbar support
- PU leather upholstery has no chemical scent
- Arms not adjustable apart from flipping up
- Backrest only tilts back around 110°.
Why you need an Ergonomic Chair
Our lifestyles now are particularly sedentary given our attachment to computers and other modern technology. Sitting in a chair for hours on end doing your work can lead to all kinds of health problems that you may not even be aware of. Lower back pain is one of the most common ailments in modern society. Even a good budget office chair can greatly enhance your posture and decrease your chances of debilitating neck and back pain over time.
Which is the Best Ergonomic Chair under and around $200?
The five ergonomic chairs chosen for this review are the cream of the pop when it comes to budget office chairs under and around $200. Many ergonomic chairs cost a lot more than that, some with inferior ergonomic features or durability than the five that made our list.
The Duramont Office Chair is an excellent all rounder with very few compromises for a budget chair. We loved the Hbada Ergonomic Office Chair for the cutting edge style that usually costs double or even triple its price tag. The Smugdesk also offers unique benefits that people who find standard office chairs too hard on their back or bottom will really appreciate.